Wednesday, October 14, 2015

OCD Week...

This week is the International Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Awareness Week!!!!!!

I would have taken my picture holding the sign like I try and do every year but my face has decided to break out and no one really needs to see that. I have no idea why this happens to me, I am not a teenager and haven't been for a very long time. Anyway, I will just post the poster on my blog sans my face and also the links to how you can get involved with showing support of OCD Awareness week.

OCD Awareness Week





Remember you can show support by using the #OCDweek hashtag on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to help get OCD Awareness Week trending!

The biggest thing I want people to understand about having OCD is that many people that have OCD do not have the symptoms everyone associates with the disorder. Not everyone has a fear of germs, or contamination fears, or shows physical compulsions. OCD is a very complicated disorder with very complicated symptoms and although all of sufferers have the same types of feelings of guilt for our intrusive thoughts and self doubt, that doesn't mean we all do or have the same symptoms.   You may know someone that suffers from OCD and have absolutely no idea that you do. We tend to hide it as best as we can. So, please support us because we could use it. Please share the awareness for our disorder. It is important that we not only teach others about just what OCD is and how hard it is living with the disorder, but also that we give those of us that suffer from it, a podium to open up publicly about it. We need to be honest, be real, and  help others by tearing down the stigma that surrounds not only our disorder but all mental illness, everywhere.

Thank you for your support,
Neurotic Nelly

4 comments:

  1. I OCD about having OCD's and OCD about other people finding out I have OCDs and.....its not really that much fun, is mentally exhausting, an unproductive use of time and mental energy and "steals" a good part of your life.

    I'd write more about this...but I have to go check all the door locks, for the 32nd time tonight, and I live in a quiet, low crime and peaceful area, on our property surrounded by a 6 to 8 foot block/stucco wall, with several Rottweiler's in the yard, and I'm a 6 foot tall, 225 pound weightlifter, martial artist who owns many guns. Did I mention its not that much fun? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TR, I can totally understand your predicament. No it is not fun at all and it can steal away good bits of your life. Just know that somewhere out there, there are a great many people checking their locks over and over and over again like you. It would be weird if it was at the same time wouldn't it? Just mass people checking the locks all at the same time. I don't check locks more than once a night now....but I think about it. So, I guess am right there with you mentally I am just doing it in my head. Lol.Nope, no fun to be had while doing that.

      Delete
  2. Synchronized Lock Checking? Future Olympic sport? Hey, you and me tag teaming it.....we'll win Gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they ever make an OCD checking Olympic sport, I think we can totally take the gold. :) I mean , hell we already have the practice. Lol.

      Delete