Monday, March 3, 2014

You Ever Get That Feeling....

You ever get that feeling that the people you thought would most understand you on a very basic level, completely misunderstand everything about you and everything that you do? 

Yea, it's been one of "those" kind of weeks. I am still trying to recover from it all and I feel really down in the dumps and frustrated. I was hoping to have excellent news to share today. I was hoping to have an upbeat post that was inspiring and left you with the feeling of content. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. So if that was the kind of post you were hoping to read today, you might want to stop reading this right now.

Or now....

Definitely by now...

Okay, you have been warned.....

It started when I talked to a dear friend the other day. I was explaining some issues with my kids and I don't know what I was actually expecting....support maybe? A friend's compassion? I don't know. What I got felt more like judgment and maybe a tad bit of stigma....not the greatest of conversations, I assure you. I am not sure that was her intention, she is a very busy person and has a lot going on. I caught her at a busy moment so that may have had something to do with it. I can't really spread conjecture on her state of mind or on how she thought the conversation went, but for me it felt like a heart break. I felt misunderstood and possibly blamed. I have no idea how I am supposed to get over the lump in my throat every time I think about it. I am sure we will get over this issue but at the same time, now I am afraid to share things about myself and family I would have never thought would be an off topic.  I am afraid I will be wounded again.


Then it was the doctor's office today. I don't even know where to start. I thought my doctor would be happy that I have lost twenty pounds in two months. That I have been keeping my blood sugar down to excellent levels. I am pretty sure I am actually borderline and not full blown diabetic and she had originally put me on two metaformin a day. Something that made me violently ill. She then put me on one a day, and since I have lost the weight it has been really hard for me to make sure my sugar doesn't go too low. No missing meals for me. At it's lowest it was 79. Not super low but anything 70 and under can be extremely dangerous.

She was mad at me. Because I ate. I had to, as I explained, because when I miss a meal my blood sugar dips way down. She didn't care. She said next time just make the appointment in the morning.....Now, I am no rocket scientist, but I eat at 6.a.m. when the doctor's office is still closed and that means to have an appointment where I haven't eaten would have to be noon. Which would be fine, except you sit in her office for a while and by the time she got in to see me, it would be really low. How is that safe?

I was hoping I had lost enough weight to get off the metaformin. I suppose not....not that she said anything about it. I felt completely invisible. How does one feel invisible while participating in a doctor's appointment about oneself? I dunno, but apparently it is possible.

Then the actual reason besides the check up, that I went to see her was totally ignored. She snapped at me again when I asked her what my blood sugar level was and then recanted when my numbers where excellent...Yea, no kidding. 

To top it off she then said she couldn't give me a flu shot because they were out, but she couldn't look me in the eye when she said this and I was pretty sure she was lying and just didn't want to have to write it up and give it to me. She told me to go to my pharmacy. Well, that would work except none of the places giving out the flu shot take my insurance. So I would have to pay out of pocket, when in my doctor's office it is totally covered by my insurance. I mean, what the hell lady? Yea, to say I was angry would be putting it mildly. And then after all of her being rude and snarky about me eating, and how my tests would be faulty now that I ate, she made me get the blood tests anyway. Now I ask you, how does any of this make any sense?

Short answer...it doesn't. I knew we had crossed a line of no return when she made me take the meds but never said I was actually diabetic. Nor did she tell me to get a machine and check it. I mean who does that? You are diabetic but don't bother checking your blood sugar...I found out my levels were one point over normal when she "diagnosed" me.  Now it has been nothing but one big hassle and she doesn't even take the time to explain anything to me.

I need a new doctor. I have decided I can't trust her in any fashion. And it bothers me that now I have spend all day tomorrow trying to find a new one. The anxiety is overwhelming. I am frustrated. I feel like vomiting when I even think about doing it.

And that is how anxiety works. I don't know what others expect from me, but when I feel like I am being judged or blamed, I get anxiety. I suffer from an anxiety disorder...go figure.

I feel like those that should understand me don't and trying to explain it to them in a way that totally makes sense to them sometimes feels like I am banging my head up against the wall. I am not alright. I am not always as capable as I appear and yes, spending the whole day trying to find a doctor that will actually listen to my concerns and answer my questions seems like a daunting task. It seems to me like climbing Mt. Everest. So there. I never claimed to be perfect or even healthy. I am not. I have a mental illness and sometimes it rears it's ugly head and I am left to deal with all of the fallout alone. I am sorry if it inconveniences anyone or takes up their lunch hour. I am just trying to get through my issues and live my life....sue me.

And that is where the frustration comes in....I have known both of these people for years, many years and I am dumbfounded as to how in the hell neither of them understand me at all. Dumbfounded. I wish it was only them, but alas  there are tons of people that just don't get what is wrong with me. Even those that understand somewhat, have moments of obscured believability and it just makes me sad. And tired. Mostly tired....I am just tired.

Sick and tired of trying to explain, make excuses, prove that I have what I say I have and how it affects me, and that it isn't because I am lazy or distracted, or looking for attention. My God, if it were only so simple as that. 

I guess I am just wounded. I feel judged and ignored, placated and disillusioned. I guess my heart is broken. My nerve endings are burnt. My feelings are raw. I just over all want to go sit somewhere quiet and cry. Sigh, see I told you this post wasn't hopeful or fun...

I know it will all work out for the best. I know that getting a new doctor is a must for any sense of freaking sanity. I know that this too shall pass, but until then everything kinda sucks right now.

Oh well, I will post again on Thursday and maybe things will be a lot better. Thanks for always being there for me. I really am glad there are people like me that understand what this hell is like. I am so glad to not truly be alone.

Neurotic Nelly 


8 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling wounded. It sucks when the people in your life that you usually can rely on start acting on way that puts you on edge and makes you feel judged.

    Just remember the doctor is your employee - she would for you! Without you (patients) she is nothing- fire her! Get a new doctor that explains and respects you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Savanna. I am certainly firing her. I am going to look for a new doctor tomorrow. I thought I would give myself a day off and just not think about it that way I can get my anxiety down.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you get to be the peigon other times you get to be the statue. Looks like a statue day just hope tomorrow will be better for you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That totally made me laugh! Thanks I needed that Michael!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I am really sorry this happened to you Nelly, I know it is extremely frustrating to live with a MI and have people mistreat you, whether intentional or not. I am going thru this with family, I am so tired I have shut down, I have asked them to get educated about Bipolar, and BPD, I also have anxiety, but I get silence, I guess they are too busy, it's easier to just be angry or distance themselves, so I answer now with "I'm fine".... my circle of safe people is getting smaller, but on the upside, it's teaching me to just not have expectations, a bit sad, but necessary for my own mental health. Feel better :) , and I hope you find a compassionate doctor...and congratulations on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much K MARIA, I am trying to not let it hurt me and upset me to bad. It is a growing process I just wish that sometimes growing would be a tad bit less painful. I have much the same issues, only they refuse to even acknowledge what I have in the first place. It is very frustrating and painful.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I'm with you there on at least the Dr acting like a damn professional instead of a bitch you now have to fire and replace. Jebus. And the stress of Dr shopping is so draining, and causes massive anxiety, normal people just don't get it.
    If you wanna go "Bipolar" on your fired Dr for a good laugh (I'm so bad), call her and tell her "Hi, this is Nelly and you're FIRED!" Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. That is sooo tempting but my damn overactive guilt complex would just kick in....sigh.. Thanks Frankie. :)

      Delete